The Youth Scholarship program was established
- to educate youth in the art of beekeeping and to promote a better understanding of the value of honeybees to our environment and to the food chain
- to provide an opportunity for youth to experience responsibility and enjoyment through beekeeping
- to provide an avenue for youth to engage in a vocation and gain the potential to pursue beekeeping as a sideline or fulltime vocation
- The applicant must be between the ages of 9 and 18 by December 1st of the school year.
- The applicant must be a resident of Central Ohio.
- The applicant must be currently enrolled in public, private or home school.
- The applicant must have permission and agreement from parent or guardian.
- The application must be submitted to COBA no later than January 8, 2020.
- A two-year membership in the Central Ohio Beekeepers Association (COBA).
- A beginning beekeeper school registration and textbook.
- A set of wooden ware for a beehive.
- A nuc or package of bees for the hive.
- Beekeeping gear including a hat, veil, gloves, veroa test kit, hive tool and bee smoker.
- Mentoring by a COBA member for one year.
Expectations of the Recipient
- This is approximately a one-year commitment
- You will be expected to attend the Wednesday evening Bee School in February
- Attend the monthly COBA meetings
- Attend the 1st year Bee Yard at OSU Waterman Farms that is held on Wednesday evenings from April through September. This is the hands-on part of learning about your bees that the club provides.
- There are 2 presentations (including a power point) you will need to give the club: 1) in August focusing on your experience with your hives so far. 2) In April – How your bees did through the fall and winter.
- Other Events are:
- The COBA Pancake Breakfast
- The COBA Picnic
- The Bee Display at the State Fair
- The Lithopolis Honey Fest (Your participation is a wonderful way to show others what you have learned.)
- The End of the year Banquet at Der Dutchman
For any questions or clarifications please contact: